Regular exercise has a variety of benefits for your whole self. It works on your mind, body, and general health. During the winter months, many people skip exercising in favor of low energy indoor activities, such as dining and watching movies, but keeping a year round exercise routine in place benefits you in many ways. Remember before you begin any exercise program consult your medical team. Hampton Roads Orthopaedics Spine and Sports Medicine can help you choose fitness goals and determine if your routine is safe for you.
The body benefits the most from exercise. Monitoring your body, inside and out, allows you to see the results from your hard work.
- Increase your flexibility. Do you find yourself dealing with tight muscles? Perhaps you want to be able to reach things without pain. Stretching your muscles helps you safely increase your flexibility.
- Decrease your risk of injury. When you properly stretch before participating in an event, you can reduce your chance of landing on the sideline. Proper exercise stretches your muscles and prepares your bones for your next activity. It is also recommended to stretch after you finish what you’re doing to prevent injuring your muscles.
Physical benefits are not the only positive outcome of your hard work. Your brain will thank you as well.
- Regular exercise helps keep you in a better mood. When you increase your activity to a moderate level, your body responds by releasing natural endorphins. This natural chemical release increases the feeling of happiness and improves your mood.
- Exercise provides much-needed stress relief. Do not take your rough day home after work. Instead, go for a run or hit the gym. By removing yourself from the stressful situation, you can use your routine as stress relief. The energy you burn while working out helps put you in a better mood. It can also help clear your mind.
- It helps promote better memory. Regularly getting active helps to encourage chemicals in your brain that work to increase your memory.
The impact of exercise on your overall health is far-reaching. By creating and following a regular exercise routine, you can improve your health and wellness.
- Weight loss. There are many ways you can naturally achieve your goals. Consider joining a class or asking a friend or family member to join you for a walk. Regular activity is not an overnight weight loss solution. However, as you keep at your routine of choice, you will start to see a reduction in weight with an increase in muscle. By losing weight, you have a better chance of avoiding injury and chronic illnesses.
- Sleep better as you follow your routine. Regular physical activity during the day helps your body when you turn in for the night. You can avoid painful leg cramps that keep you awake at night. You also get more restful sleep as your body comes down from the natural high created by the exercise.
- Reduce your risk of diabetes. By increasing your physical activity, you can decrease your overall blood sugar levels. It is also an excellent way to ward off insulin resistance. The increase in activity also helps you regulate your blood glucose which can keep your doctor happy.
Keep in mind exercise is something you can personalize. Take some time to consider your health goals before you design the perfect routine for you. For more information on the benefits of regular exercise, contact Hampton Roads Orthopaedics Spine and Sports Medicine at (757) 873-1554.