Anthony T. Carter, MD, F.A.A.O.S.
Dr. Anthony Carter, a native of Peabody, Massachusetts, attended Boston University graduating Summa Cum Laude with distinction. He was recognized as a Commonwealth Scholar and became an inductee of Phi Beta Kappa. He gained early acceptance into Boston University School of Medicine, graduating with honors and as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha. After graduating, Dr. Carter began his orthopaedic career at NYU, serving as chief resident before beginning his service at Langley Air Force Base in 1992. While at Langley, he served as a staff orthopaedic surgeon which included a tour of duty overseas as part of Operation Restore Hope in Somalia. Dr. Carter joined Hampton Roads Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine in 1995.
A pioneer in his field, he introduced many firsts in the Hampton Roads area, including the direct anterior approach to total hip replacement (Jiffy Hip) as well as robotic knee surgery (Makoplasty), both of which he has performed more cases than any other surgeon in the area. He is constantly seeking new and innovative techniques including improved pain management and accelerated recovery protocols and comprehensive blood management programs to the area.
His expertise is widely recognized, lecturing both nationally and internationally and serving as a peer reviewer for journal articles.
In addition, Dr. Carter most recently completed his first book chapter on total hip replacement. He is also recognized by his peers as “Top Doc” of Hampton Roads. Dr. Carter is also a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS). His leadership skills honed during his military service at Langley Air Force Base prepared him well in his roles as Chief of Surgery and Chief of Orthopaedics at Mary Immaculate Hospital.
In his off time, Dr. Carter enjoys ice hockey, golf, fishing, staying fit, traveling with his wife and spending time with his two children. He is also an avid New England sports fan.
Learn More About Dr. Carter
In The Press
- HROSM Awarded 2018 ‘Daily Press Best Of’ For Orthopaedics & Physical Therapy
- HROSM Physicians Named to 2018 Top Doc list by Coastal Virginia Magazine
- Mr. Booth: Returns to Running after Bilateral Hip Replacement with Dr. Carter
- NEWPORT NEWS ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON PERFORMS LIVE STREAMING SURGERY TO ANTERIOR HIP FOUNDATION MEETING IN LAS VEGAS
- A Success Story of Knee Replacement with Dr. Carter
- HROSM Awarded 2017 Daily Press Choice Award for Best Orthopaedic Group on the Peninsula
- Dr. Anthony Carter First in Virginia to Perform the Latest in Total Knee Replacement
- Patient Story: “Back in Business – and Heels!” ~ Melinda
- HROSM Physicians Named to 2017 Top Doc list by Coastal Virginia Magazine
- The Advantages of the Direct Anterior Approach to Hip Replacement
- Surgeon Scorecard with Dr. Anthony Carter
- Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital is Among the First in Virginia to Offer Intelligent Orthopedic Knee Replacement Surgery
- Dr. Anthony Carter Reaches Mile Stone
- Tourniquetless Total Knee Replacement
- Tissue Sparing Approach to Total Hip Replacement
- Surgery Scheduler: Preparing for Joint Replacement Surgery